POSITION: Head, Human Resources
DEPARTMENT: Human Capital Management
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Human Resources
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
- Training & Development
- Performance Management
- Recruitment & Hiring
- Personnel & Administration
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
General direction and guidance on HCM strategy, targets, initiatives and policies and procedures. To lead complex HR transformation projects.
- The purpose of this role is to contribute to the overall strategic Vision and direction of the organization.
- To provide skilled, well trained human resources to the operations and support functions aligned to business growth projections and to provide input and guidance to the Executive Director on all matters pertaining to Human Capital Management.
- To provide overall leadership and direction to the HCM team ensuring that their activities are effectively and efficiently managed and delivered to a high standard to support business plans and priorities.
- To provide professional HCM guidance and expertise to the management team and the Executive Director and ensuring compliance to internal control and local employment and labor regulatory policies, procedures, and practices.
KEY RESULT AREAS:
- Quality standards in HCM practice
- Staff Development
- Staff Satisfaction
- Culture Change Management
- Personal Development
- Security, health, and Safety
- QUALITY STANDARDS IN HCM PRACTICE
HCM Service Provision to the organization’s Executive:
- Develop and implement the HCM strategy and budget that considers the overall business objectives, plans and priorities.
- Contributes to the organizational strategic planning and budgeting process.
- Ensures compliance with local Employment and Labor Law.
- Maintains a network of external contacts which enable the ORGANIZATION to benchmark its salary and benefits packages against relevant comparator organizations and to migrate best practice from them where appropriate.
- Provide expert advice to the ORGANIZATION management on HCM best practices, policies and procedures relating to recruitment, training, performance management and any other HCM practices.
- Monitor staff related costs and benefits i.e., overtime, medical insurance claims, annual leave, payroll etc. and report to the ORGANIZATION Executive monthly.
- Manage and equitable reward system including regular salary reviews, compensation, and benefits, also to include salary benchmarking with similar organizations every two years
- Design and implement a job grading system.
- Ensure all staff have access to HCM information; Policy manuals as appropriate including job descriptions, job grading and potential promotional opportunities.
- Liaise with function heads at least every six months to define and document the recruitment and training requirements for each function in order to deliver the overall business strategy.
- Manage on-time recruitment and training of new hires in accordance with the documented requirements of Function Heads.
- Create and develop Talent Management culture through implementing best practices of career path and succession planning process and individual development programs.
- Ensure a pool of successors for management and critical position is available and ongoing development process is taking place for the successors.
- Ensure career path planning is part of the development process, where each employee can plan for his/her career within THE ORGANIZATION.
- Manage all general risk issues, operational, reputational etc. as they relate to the HCM function.
HCM Team Management:
- Recruit, train and development HCM staff to ensure a high standard of service delivery to internal clients
- Implement a clear HCM structure including job descriptions, areas of accountability and mandated authorities that will support the business operation.
- Provide leadership to the HCM team, directing advising and supporting their work
- Establish HCM quality standards for responses to inquiries, requests and issues relating to HCM, salary and benefits administration.
- Establish quantitative and qualitative performance objectives and measures for the HCM team.
- STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- The establishment of a strong training and development function to provide effective training and development services to all Functions within THE ORGANIZATION, including the development of a rolling Training Needs Analysis and scheduled Training Program to meet the needs of Function Heads.
- Facilitation of line managers in identifying training and development needs for all staff based on job descriptions and performance.
- Ensures adequate resources (external and internal) are provided to meet the training and development needs of staff and management.
- Develops internal capacity via internal trainers to support the delivery of in-house technical training needs.
- Ensures implementation of self-development training strategy, policy, and procedures to improve the qualifications and professional skills of all staff.
- Monitors, supervises, and evaluates the delivery of training programs and takes corrective action on negative feedback.
- Oversees the implementation of the agreed Induction Program for new hires within X days of them starting work.
- STAFF SATISFACTION
- Champions, supports, and facilitates the implementation of equal opportunity policy through consistent, transparent, objective, fair and equitable HCM systems, policies, procedures, and practices.
- Facilitates regular staff satisfaction surveys; at least every 18 months.
- Provides support to line managers to motivate, recognize and reward staff appropriately
- Supports Function Heads to create a safe environment where all staff feel valued and confident in expressing concerns or sharing ideas for improvements to product and services.
- Supports Managers to establish a process where staff are able to submit their ideas for product and service improvements and are acknowledged and recognized for doing so.
- Ensures the fair and effective application of the Performance Management System
- Assists operational management to establish performance-based incentive schemes that balance portfolio quality and productivity requirements
- Provides support to line managers in monitoring performance against agreed performance objectives and in taking corrective action against significant deviation
- In collaboration with Function heads, to review the staff welfare policies that enhance staff motivation and morale.
- CULTURE CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- Acts as an exemplar to the organizational Values and sets a personal example to all staff.
- Provides training and education to align management and staff behaviors with organizational Values.
- Support the Function Heads in creating a Culture of continuous learning and improvement across the organization.
- Influence the Function Heads through personal credibility and leadership skills, able to articulate and manage change at business level and to translate business level change initiative into local HCM actions.
- Ability to help and guide the Management in analyzing, diagnosing, and highlighting the people issues that will fundamentally affect the success of the change.
- PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Develops and maintains own knowledge, expertise, and professionalism.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in the micro finance industry including micro and macro environmental factors and trends, micro finance products and poverty eradication strategies through local and international networking activities, as it relates to HCM management issues.
- Meets personal training and development needs through relevant HCM related professional and commercial training and networking activities.
- SECURITY, HEALTH, AND SAFETY
- Ensures that all employees work in a safe manner that does not harm or injure self or other.
- Ensures that the highest standards of personal hygiene, dress, uniform, appearance, body Language and conduct is maintained by all employees.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines: Human Resource Management, Organizational Psychology, Business Education, Social Sciences or other related field from a reputable university or college; a Masters’ Degree would be an advantage.
- Professional HCM qualification.
Advanced Human Resources Management Experience:
- At least 8 – 10 years management experience gained from a similar or a related institution.
- Advanced experience and knowledge of the application of best practice human resources management techniques including recruitment and selection, organization development, job description writing, remuneration and benefits, performance management, managing poor performance, staff development, pension and retirement plans, employee relations and communication.
- Advanced knowledge of related statutory and regulatory compliance regulations, local employment, and labor laws, HCM principles, social security laws and tax laws.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders and regulatory bodies.
Relationship, Reporting and Communication Skills:
- Ability to consolidate, prepare and submit HCM reports.
- Ability to maintain high standards of accuracy in the information and advice provided to the Executive Director, Management, and staff.
- Ability to listen, understand and be sensitive to the emotional, attitudinal, and political aspect of HCM Management.
- General numeracy skills including the drafting and interpretation of business reports and graphs.
Leadership and People Management Skills:
- An effective leader and self-motivated team player with the ability to adapt and work co-operatively and effectively.
- Ability to supervise, train and foster the development of the HCM staff, providing feedback, support, and encouragement.
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with individuals and team as a whole
- Commitment to the long-term development of staff through coaching, mentoring, and the creation of development opportunities.
- Excellent organization, delegation, performance management, and time management skills with a positive “can do” mentality.
- Ability to handle difficult people and tense situations with diplomacy and tact and to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in matters relating to employee’s personal information.
- Intermediate skills in relation to personal computer operation.
- Reporting and communication software programmes – Word, PowerPoint, Excel and the HCMIS system.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to [email protected] using the job title as subject of the mail OR click: https://bit.ly/3tbErky
Lagos and Benin